Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Building Character

The Mission:  To conquer my first ever Olympic distance marathon before the end of the summer to raise money to end bullying in schools.

Biking against the wind is difficult.  Trust me on this.  Today was a 20 mile bike and at least, well, half of it was fighting an unexpected adversary.  I had to pedal alot harder just to keep moving forward at my desired pace.  And while that sucked, I couldn't help but think that on the plus side, the extra effort was making my legs stronger and that could only help me come race day.  

Since starting this quest, I've heard alot of people talk about their own bullying experiences at school.   In looking back, many people say that they thought it was just part of being a kid.  They even comment on how, perhaps, as a result of being a bullied kid they learned self reliance, independence, and an astute sixth sense regarding getting taken advantage of.  People say that it builds character.  It's as if there is this plus side to an unexpected and undesired adversary; something that makes you stronger for your life to come.

But there has to be a better way.  Even if you can positively spin bullying, we have to agree that there is a better way to promote self reliance and independence in kids than to toughen their skin by putting them down.  We have to agree that even if we convince ourselves that there are some positive byproducts to bullying, that a race fought always against the wind leads only to exhaustion and defeat.

Help me help GLSEN bring a wind of change to the national problem of bullying in our schools. 

Donate now.

No comments:

Post a Comment