Thursday, June 4, 2009

Songs from the Playlist - On My Own


I was pretty young when the movie Fame was released.  But I remember how much I wanted to go to the High School of the Performing Arts.  There were so many kids there that were just like me - talented, intense, and listening to the beat of their own drum.  But I still just wanted to fit in.  Of course, I loved so many songs from the soundtrack.  But Irene Cara's ballad On My Own seemed so sad yet so powerful.  She starts with the question "sometimes I wonder where I've been, who I am, do I fit in."  Immediately, I felt a connection to this song.   The song is about self reflection and self doubt.  But when she ends the song with the words "I may not win, but I can't be thrown out here on my own" there is a self reliance and power that really helped me during some of the bad days in high school.  Check out this song on iTunes as well as the other songs in the playlist on the sidebar.  And don't forget to donate to GLSEN

No comments:

Post a Comment