Sunday, June 14, 2009

Shifting Gears

Mission: To conquer an Olympic distance triathlon before the end of the summer to raise money to end bullying in schools

Donate now

Biking is not my strong suit. I find it difficult to concentrate on the ever changing road and I tend to just tune out while my feet go around and around. But sometimes I have to remember that it's not just enough to pedal, you have to push and try to maintain the same revolutions while you bike so you don't lose speed or momentum. This is difficult on hills or inclines. And I'm finding it difficult to get used to changing gears. But upshifting is important - it allows you to push hard against resistance and gives you your power. And downshifting is important - on the toughest of climbs it allows you to keep moving forward if you want to navigate the open road and maintain your power.

I've focused alot so far on the negative affect that bullying can have on young lives. And it does. But today, I want to change gears. I want to dedicate this post to the awesome people who make the hurdles and hills and even the everyday of school much easier for a kid who is finding it hard to keep moving onward. Perhaps it is the one teacher who singles out your strengths in class so as to give you confidence. Or perhaps it is the one or more friends who take some of the slack and allow you to keep moving forward on your toughest of days.

There were alot of shining moments for me in high school. I couldn't have survived without the forensic team and the drama team and all of the teachers who told me that I was unstoppable. But specifically, I want to thank those who literally saved my life. Amy, I knew from the first day we met we would be lifelong friends. Kathie, who understood my need to be myself. Tom, who tried out for the dance squad so I wouldn't be the only guy. Jay, my adopted brother from the laidback family I never had. Cathy, you were a cheerleader for pete's sake and you hung out with us. Laurie, who shared my love of James Dean. Keith, my reminder that there was a whole world that mattered more than school. I endeavor to do this triathlon for you.

Because everyone should have someone who can help them shift gears.

No comments:

Post a Comment